If you have read my blog before, you will know that I am a grade-A run nerd. Given my background in academia, it makes sense: I love reading in-depth on topics of interest and don’t shy away from complex research or scientific jargon.
As I put together all of the information for the Fall 2016 Marathon Training Group and grow my coaching business, I read everything I can about running. Books by Brad Hudson, Matt Fitzgerald, Jack Daniels, and Pete Pfitzinger litter the coffee tables and nightstands in our apartment because I am always reading and re-reading information to become a better coach (and, honestly, because I enjoy it – I’m a non-fiction lover!).
When Dr. Jason Karp emailed me about the REVO2LUTION Running Certification through his company Run Fit and promised a comprehensive and scientific course, I could not turn down the opportunity to learn even more about running and to further advance my knowledge as a running coach.
One significant advantage of the REVO2LUTION Running Certification is that you can complete this course completely online. You receive a series of PDFs instead of a textbook (which is also more environmentally friendly!), study at your own pace over the course of one month, and then take the 100 question exam online. The exam was more difficult than the RRCA exam because the REVO2LUTION Running Certification required more detailed knowledge of the physiology of running.
The certification materials included 7 comprehensive manuals and 4 sample training plans, which are received immediately for download after purchase. Additionally, you also receive a technical short sleeve t-shirt in the mail.
The manuals discussed almost every possible topic that a running coach needs to know. The 7 modules, which ranged from 15-45 pages each, included:
- Running Physiology
- Running Technique
- Running Training
- Running Injuries
- Running for Weight Loss
- Running Nutrition
- Running Workouts
For my personal coaching business, the most valuable aspect of REVO2LUTION Running Certification was the in-depth discussion of specifically how to train female runners. The manuals included sections on how menstrual cycles affect running, how estrogen level relate to injury prevention, and how to train female athletes who are affected by PMS symptoms and their periods.
The benefits of the REVO2LUTION Running Certification include:
- Virtual option is ideal for those who do not live in big cities and cannot easily attend a RRCA or USATF seminar.
- Fitness professionals such as personal trainers and group fitness instructors will benefit from the REVO2LUTION Running Certification as well. The course includes CECs for many nationally recognized fitness certifications, including 2.0 ACE, 1.9 NASM, 15 AFAA, and 8 PTA Global.
- The program is handcrafted by Dr. Jason Karp, who was 2011 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year.
- As the market becomes saturated with more and more running coaches each year, REVO2LUTION Running Certification offers the chance to become part of an exclusive brand.
- If teaching is your niche, you have the opportunity to become a Master Trainer and make money teaching workshops.
- The workout recommendations offer pace, perceived effort, or heart rate as metrics, which means you can easily adapt these workouts for your own preferred style of training.
- Want to keep learning (like I do)? REVO2LUTION Running Certification program includes continuing education courses for coaches who want to further advance their knowledge and help their athletes.
Downsides of the program include:
- When you complete a program virtually, you lose the benefit of easily asking the instructor questions and readily receiving answers as the occur. As a second certification, this was not a big deal for me. But if you are receiving your first running coach certification, you will benefit from the dialogue with the instructor and peers.
- The course provided a significant amount of scientific knowledge but lacked other aspects of coaching such as business, ethics, and coach-athlete relations.
You can learn more about REVO2LUTION Running Certification on Dr. Jason Karp’s Run-Fit website. The program costs $249.00 for the manuals, exam, and t-shirt. Since I enjoyed this program and believe you will as well, I am offering a discount code of 15% ($37.35 off) for all of my readers. Enter the code LAURANORRIS to receive 15% off of your purchase of the REVO2LUTION Running Certification.
Disclaimer: I received the REVO2LUTION Running Certification materials in exchange for a fair review on the blog and social media. All opinions expressed are my own.
Want to hire an knowledgeable running coach who will work with your individual needs and help you achieve your goals? Learn more about my running coach services here!
Are you interested in a coaching certification such as REVO2LUTION Running Certification?
Do you prefer reading fiction or nonfiction?
If you are a running coach, what was the most interesting thing you learned in your certification?